Berry Oatmeal Greek Yogurt Muffins

As many of you may know, I love to bake. I don't think calling it a hobby would justify it...it's honestly more of an addiction. I can't say that I remember when it all started but I've always just seemed to have a love for cooking and baking.


For example:

  •  In my free time, I watch cooking shows. 

  • When I want to curl up with a good book, I read cookbooks. 

  • Last but not least, I am always searching for new ways to use new ingredients on Pinterest. 

Are you sensing a pattern? Hmm weird;)


So lately, I have been trying to find new dessert/indulgence recipes that are health-ified! I have been wanting to make this healthy muffin recipe for quite a while now I just kept forgetting to buy Greek yogurt (woe is me!). But I had three containers in my fridge just waiting to be used or eaten up, so I went back to this recipe and whipped it up. The results? Fantastic. They were so flavorful and the berries were so sweet. You don't miss the added sugar, the butter, and the overall added calories! What is good, people...What. Is. Good.




Berry Oatmeal Greek Yogurt Muffins:

Ingredients:

1 cup +  1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
1 cup quick-cooking oats (rolled oats, steel cut oats, or old fashioned oats would work here too)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (any kind of nut will work)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Greek yogurt  (plain or any flavored Greek yogurt will work)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of one orange (can also use lemon, lime, or grapefruit zest! Adds great citrus notes!)
1 cup blueberries and strawberries, frozen or fresh (use any berry you like, this is just what I used!)

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan or line your muffin pans. Even if you line your muffin tin, grease your muffin pan liners. You will thank me later!

2. Combine 1 cup flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and chopped walnuts together in a large bowl.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, honey, milk, vanilla, and orange zest until well combined. (I used a super old fashioned hand mixer for this step and it worked like a charm! I love old things:)




4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.

5. Toss the berries in the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour until coated and then carefully fold them into the batter.



6. Divide the batter evenly among the cups, filling to the top. Use an ice cream scooper, works like a charm! No mess and no fuss!)


Ice cream scooper works great for this! 





                   Yes, this is my container full of cupcake /muffin liners:)



 7. Bake for 25 minutes or so, or until the muffins are firm and just starting to turn golden brown. Use a toothpick or a cake tester to make sure they are done if you aren't sure!

8. Allow the muffins to cool completely in the pan before transferring them to a container or before eating!

P.S. no butter slab needed on this muffin!



The finished product! 



So happy with the results.





Aaaaaaandd one more picture just for good measure:) 



Enjoy yourself with these, you won't get a "muffin top" from eating them! Feel free to have a few:)


*So....get in your kitchen, put your apron on, and let's get Cookin' with Cassie!*







Comments

  1. Looks awesome Cassie! Can't wait to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome Cassie! Can't wait to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicious, good hearty texture, and the berries give a little kick of sweetness throughout! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment