Blueberry Oatmeal Crisp

Ya know those recipes that just make you feel good about life, warm your soul, and give meaning to your entire being? (Okay, so I'm a little dramatic...sue me!) This is one of those recipes, guys and gals. Not going to lie, these were supposed to be blueberry breakfast bars...but then they didn't turn out like the recipe said they would. But Julia Child says it's okay because "if you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who's going to know?" (okay so we are not dealing with meat at all in the kitchen...but if you try out a recipe that doesn't quite turn out like it's supposed to, you change the name...and you serve it with ice cream! Nobody has to know! Except for the fact that I just told everyone on my blog, so now you know my secrets...muahaha) I ended up making this to share with my family for my 22nd birthday breakfast! Needless to say, this was once again another crowd pleaser! Enough of the endless rambling, Cassie, give them the recipe! Here it is...you're welcome:)

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 c. coconut oil (you can use butter if you don't have any coconut oil on hand)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. corn starch (I used flour and it turned out great)


Instructions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. In a mixing bowl combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, soda and salt. Melt the coconut oil and pour over the oatmeal mixture. Mix until incorporated and crumbly. Press 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture into a 9x13" pan, saving the other 1/3 for the topping.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar and corn starch. Mix until the blueberries are evenly coated with the sugar and corn starch. Pour over the bottom crust. Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the blueberries. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
  4. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting.
  5. Served best when it is straight-outta-the-oven-warm :) 

(So these may have been pre-oven pictures...I got so excited with the turnout that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product! I know, what a sin!)

What I love about this recipe is that, this is a perfect sit-down breakfast dish to share with your family or have it for dessert and serve it a la mode! Whichever way to wish to serve it up, it is bound to be delish!



 *So....get in your kitchen, put your apron on, and let's get Cookin' with Cassie!*

Comments