Elk Chili

















     It's officially winter. Sweater (scarf, hat, Carhartt, and mittens) weather. A time for cozying up by the fireplace, oh and praying that your pipes don't freeze because this week the temperatures are supposed to be -25 degrees F (without the wind chill). So, what does that mean for me in the food space? Soups, stews, and maybe some chili? Elk chili to be exact! Nothing fancy here, just good ole Mid-western chili! Side note: Did anybody's Grandma used to put spaghetti noodles in her chili? Mine did! Feel free to add some in once you put everything in your crockpot, no need to boil in advance, just throw 'em in! 


     In our kitchen, Tom and I always seem to have some sort of canned tomatoes and beans aka chili things. I never remember buying these items, it's almost as if they just appear. I believe that there is a kitchen fairy that just drops off random ingredients in your pantry while you are sleeping. It's similar to a grocery delivery service like Shipt, except you don't have to pay for them (kind of a win-win in my book):) 

     Now let's get to some questions that I already know I'm going to have. "Why do you use elk? How can I get that?" I am a hunter, that is who I am. Tom and I harvested two elk last year in Wyoming (best state ever, no offense Minnesota!). He shot his bull with his bow and I shot my bull with a rifle. I will be doing a blog post on wild game very soon, don't you worry! "What if I don't have elk in my freezer like you? What can I substitute?" I suggest that you stay within the red meat category, but ground turkey can also be used if you conventionally buy your meat. Beef or leftover steak would be amazing in here as well, but ultimately anything ground will work!  

     With any recipe, keep in mind that you can sub items or take them out if you don't care for them or don't have them! Recipes are simply a guide. You don't have to follow them to a "T" but you certainly can if you would like. It is your kitchen and I am here to give you recipes to feed you and your family, so I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!

PSA: If you have a large crock pot, now would be the time to use 
     it! 




Elk Chili Recipe: 

2 pounds ground elk (or deer, beef, turkey, or even steak!)

1/2 an onion, chopped

2 cloves fresh garlic, minced 

(1)- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles 

(1) - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes

(1) - 15.5 can dark kidney beans

(1) - 16 oz. can refried beans 

1.5 tsp. garlic powder

1.5 tsp. crushed red pepper

1/2 tsp. sweet paprika (can also use smokey or regular paprika)

1.5 tsp. onion powder

2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. oregano

2 Tbsp. molasses

(1) - 12 oz. can of beer (I used Michelob Golden Light, but use whatever beer you have, a coffee beer or stout would be amazing!

8 oz. water (can omit or up the amount depending on how thick you want the chili!)

Salt & Black Pepper, to taste




Optional Garnishes:
pickled jalapenos
sour cream
cheddar cheese 
cilantro
tortilla chips



Directions:

1. Brown your meat of choice in a frying pan.

2. Dump all of the rest of the ingredients into your crock pot. (If 
   you do not have a crock pot, feel free to put everything in an 
   oven safe dutch oven and make it a one pot meal. You can make 
   it on the stove or throw it in the oven, anything you choose 
   will be great!) 

3. Turn the crock pot on high heat and just let er go for a few 
   hours (nothing scientific here). We are just giving it time to  
   really marry the flavors together!

4. Enjoy!




     Whether you are serving this for a crowd of six or just yourself, I pray that you find comfort in it (and for a moment, hopefully forget how cold it is outside!) I hope you all are staying warm out there and hopefully some of you will be making elk chili this week with me! Thank you for always coming back and cookin' with me, Cassie! xoxo 






























Comments